Five Holts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Five Holts

An Adult RPG based off of Richard and Wendy Pini's ElfQuest comic books.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Seaside Holt

Go down 
AuthorMessage
phoenyx
High One
High One
phoenyx

Female
Number of posts : 522
Local : generally lost somwhere...
Secondary Title : I'll try my best to help. I think I know what I'm doing...
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Seaside Holt Empty
PostSubject: Seaside Holt   Seaside Holt Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 8:38 am

A group of Elves traveled much like Gypsies for nine and a half centuries. Some decide to settle and founded Seaside Holt. In the cliffs near the beach they formed cave-like dens to live and store things in. They quickly set up fishing patterns, and learned to hunt and farm in their new settlement.

Seaside Holt Elves live much like any coastal, primitive tribe of people. They subside on many marine creatures and foods, supplemented with farming and minor hunting. They have weaving of plant fibers, and tanning leather for clothes. They use pretty stones, shells and even bone for decorating. They also have pottery and basket weaving. Seaside has many Ceremonies as well.

DANCE OF NEW LIFE
Created when the first tadpole was born to Seaside Holt, this Ceremony is celebrated whenever children are born. There’s singing and dancing, and a feast in honor of the new life born into the Holt, and a way to reaffirm the choice to settle down and form the Holt. Though that meaning has been lost through the generations.

CELEBRATION OF PLENTY
This Celebration was created as the first foods were found and brought to the tribe for survival. It was affirmation that the tribe had again made the right decision as their new home provided for the tribe. Over the centuries and millennia, this reason has been forgotten, and is commonly celebrated with the bringing in of fresh meat and marine life after the Storm Season (White Cold). There is much feasting, many using their prized recipes on all the same foods. So, while there are many of the same types, they are cooked many different ways so the feast isn’t boring. During this time the Elves rejoice in being out of the caves and knowing that they have survived through another season, and much socializing.

HARVEST OF REAPING
Created after the first Harvest was done when Farming was discovered. This is another Celebration to affirm the choice to settle down. As this meaning was lost over the generations, it is commonly held after the first harvest from the first planting after the Storm Season (White Cold). Much like the Celebration of Plenty, everyone who can cook takes some of the Harvest and makes it according to their favorite recipes, and there is much socializing.

HONOUR THE DEAD
Honour the Dead was created when the first deaths were experienced, of which one was the first Chief of the tribe. It is not so much a celebration, as a way for the whole tribe to mourn the loss of tribe members. If the deceased is a fisher, they are given to the sea; hunters are either left in the mountains away from the Holt or in the small woods to the south of the Holt. Farmers and other non hunters/fishers are buried either in the farm lands or the groves of fruit trees to return to the earth and nourish it. There is no singing, dancing or feasting. The body is laid to rest in silence and everyone returns to their homes to mourn their loss. If there is no body to give, where ever they would have been buried, the Elves gather for the time it would take to give the body to its resting place.

CELEBRATION OF JOY
First done when a stranger tribe was found and joined the Holt, this Ceremony was created as a celebration and welcome of the newest members. Unfortunately, new elves aren’t found all that often, so now it is a celebration for any joyous occasion, from Recognition, Lifematings, or just discovering something new. There is feasting, dancing, singing, and sometimes new matings.
Back to top Go down
phoenyx
High One
High One
phoenyx

Female
Number of posts : 522
Local : generally lost somwhere...
Secondary Title : I'll try my best to help. I think I know what I'm doing...
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Seaside Holt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seaside Holt   Seaside Holt Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 8:47 am

TYPICAL SEASIDE HOLT CAVE

Seaside Holt TypicalCaveofSeasideHolt

On entering a Cave of Seaside Holt, you would walk down a short, curving tunnel, varied in length Cave-to-Cave, but no shorter then four feet and no longer then eight feet. The tunnel is a defense against too much water entering and flooding the Cave from a storm or hurricane.

At the end of the tunnel you will enter a large Cavern. This is a Common Room, where visitors will gather. Somewhere near the entrance will be pegs on the wall, a place to hang outer cloaks, capes and whatnot. There will be a firepit with slightly raised bench-like slabs around it, covered in soft furs, grasses and the like to make them comfortable for sitting. This room is where main meals will be taken as well.

Depending on the Resident’s occupation(s), there will be one to four side caverns, small-ish in size. These are typically used as storage for both food and occupation.

Off the Central Cavern will also be two or more tunnels similar to the Entrance Tunnel that lead to Sleeping Quarters. These will generally have a large shallow pit lined with furs, grasses, and such. There may be a bench or two covered much like those in the Central Cavern. If the Owner of the Cave is Single or a Couple without tadpoles, then the extra bedroom(s) may be used as a workplace, depending on the Elf.

Décor per Owner’s whims.
Back to top Go down

Seaside Holt
Page 1 of 1